The holidays can be a very busy and chaotic time for families, and that’s why it’s so easy to let your guard down when it comes to preventing toxic exposure to your pet. Everyday items that we may not think twice about can become lethal to our pets. We have created a list of holiday-related items such as decorations, plants, and food items that we recommend keeping away from pets.
•Lilies – Levels of toxicity for lilies are moderate to severe for cats, even small ingestions such as 1-2 petals or leaves may result in severe, acute kidney failure. Common signs to watch for are lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, and increased or decreased urination.
•Holly and Mistletoe – These are toxic to both dogs and cats and have a level toxicity of mild to moderate. Common signs to watch for are lip-smacking, drooling, head shaking, vomiting and diarrhea. To be safe we suggest keeping these plants out of reach for your dogs and cat this holiday season.
•Chocolate – The chemical theobromine found in chocolate and cocoa is highly toxic to dogs and cats – the less sweet and the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is. Common signs to watch for include hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, elevated heart rate, seizures, and collapse.
•Tinsel and decorations – While ornaments and tinsel are not going to be poisonous, they can cause potentially life-threatening damage if swallowed. Glass ornaments and tinsel that shine and shimmer are often an enticing toy for your pet. Depending on what your pet ingests the reactions can be different.
•Alcohol – While alcohol is around year-round it tends to be out more during the holidays. Now most people know not to give alcohol to pets, alcohol poisoning is more common than you may think as it can be found in food or unbaked dough that contains yeast. Common signs to watch for are drooling, vomiting or attempting to vomit, weakness, distended stomach, and elevated heart rate.
When it comes to your pets and the holidays the best thing you can do is educate yourself and your family to make your home pet-proof! If you think your pet has ingested something they shouldn’t have, give us a call immediately or contact an emergency clinic with any questions or concerns.
July 15th is a day to bring something to the attention of many pet owners that they don’t usually think of, Pet Fire Safety. It is not something we always think of, but between cats jumping up on counters and dogs zooming around tables, it is more common than one may think. Whether you are a new pet owner or have had pets your entire life, there are things you can add to your home or take away that you may not have thought of before.
Being prepared and proactive is key to helping and protecting your pets in case of an emergency. We have come up with the top 5 tips to help keep you and your pets safe.
Even thinking about parasites gives people the heebie-jeebies. Now think about your pet being infected with them... As the warm weather comes around and you and your four-legged friends spend more time outside, your pets are more likely to be exposed to infections and parasites. With your pets being vulnerable to many different parasites, this can lead to severe illnesses, not only in them, but for other family members as well. To protect your pets, and your family, against parasites we break down why you need to be get internal and external parasite protection.
1. Parasite Protection Starts When You Bring Your Puppy or Kitten Home
Whenever you bring a new pet into your home you should have your little one inspected at a veterinarian beforehand. This prevents your other pets and family members from being exposed to these parasites.
2. Discover Parasites Early
One of the best ways to uncover internal parasites in a pet is through an annual Calgary vet visit. If you, or your vet has suspicions that your pet has internal parasites they will start by collecting a stool sample and checking for parasites. For dogs, depending where you live and have traveled, a blood test to rule out heartworm disease may be suggested.
3. Why You Need to Care About Parasite Protection
While parasites can sometimes be harmless, this is not usually the case. They have become one of the most common causes of disease for pets. Some of the illnesses parasites can cause include heartworm disease, malnutrition, anemia and weight loss. Many of these parasites can also cause family members to become sick, especially children.
However, before you panic, you should understand how easy it is to prevent parasites through regular visits to your Calgary veterinary clinic. Checking with your local Calgary vet clinic can help you to identify products to keep your cats and dogs free of parasites.
If you have questions about parasite protection or would like to book your pet in for a parasite protection appointment, be sure to contact the wonderful team at West Springs Veterinary Hospital.
Phone: (403) 249-7387